Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I generally bake from scratch, but I ran across this recipe that uses a yellow cake mix that is fabulous. It makes a beautiful three-layer bar that is good either with or without the whipped cream.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned pumpkin puree
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- whipped cream
- Combine cake mix from box, melted butter and one of the eggs; beat until combined.
- Set aside one cup of the cake-mix mixture.
- Spread remaining cake mix mixture in an ungreased 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Press to form an even crust.
- In medium mixing bowl, beat together the remaining eggs, the pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar and the 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over crust in prepared pan.
- Combine the reserved cake-mix mixture, the sugar, the 2 tablespoons softened butter and the cinnamon.
- Dot evenly over the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until done when tested with toothpick.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into 16 squares and then into triangles.
- Serve with whipped cream with additional pumpkin pie spice sprinkled on top.
To: Sharlene W. My Stars, Girl, this is the most elegant looking and delicious tasting pumpkin recipe I've tried in many a moon! Think I'll forego traditional pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, and serve this. Thanks so much for posting this outstanding dessert. Laudee C. (Colorado)
Wow - I was looking for something quick made with pumpkin to take to work in the morning. This really fit the bill. I used French Vanilla cake mix as that's all I had. Followed the recipe to the tee except added a little brown sugar to the reserved crumb mix for added richness (and because I love brown sugar :-) ). It turned out great and had lots of compliments today at work. Thanks for posting Sharlene!
wonderful! easy! delicious!