Recipe by Sharon123
These rolls are delicious! and easy! and use no yeast! Sugar makes these slightly sweet, or you can use 1 tsp. salt for a more savory version.
Top Review by ~cbw~
These rolls were very easy and tasty to make. I used instant potatoes to speed things up even more. I agree with the last review that they needed an additional rising agent to help puff them up a little bit. They are definitely worth trying again!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 1 teaspoon salt, for a more savory version
- 1 1⁄3 cups freshly boiled and mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and mashed potato.
- Add enough milk to bind to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly until blended.
- Roll out until 1/2-inch thick and cut into rectangles.
- Place the rectangles on a buttered baking sheet and bake in a 425* oven for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve on the day made.
- Note: You can also make these rolls as triangles.
- Instead of rectangles as here, cut 12 triangles from the dough.