Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These rolls are delicious! and easy! and use no yeast! Sugar makes these slightly sweet, or you can use 1 tsp. salt for a more savory version.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 1 teaspoon salt, for a more savory version
- 1 1⁄3 cups freshly boiled and mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and mashed potato.
- Add enough milk to bind to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly until blended.
- Roll out until 1/2-inch thick and cut into rectangles.
- Place the rectangles on a buttered baking sheet and bake in a 425* oven for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve on the day made.
- Note: You can also make these rolls as triangles.
- Instead of rectangles as here, cut 12 triangles from the dough.
These rolls were very easy and tasty to make. I used instant potatoes to speed things up even more. I agree with the last review that they needed an additional rising agent to help puff them up a little bit. They are definitely worth trying again!
These tiny little soft and slightly sweet rolls were very tasty indeed. My family really enjoyed them. They have a nice texture and when fresh from the oven,they taste like little pockets of mashed potatoes. The only problem I had with them is that they really didn't rise much at all while baking - I think perhaps if an additional rising agent were added they would puff up better when baked. They pretty much stayed the same height as they started out - sort of like a cookie. I plan to make these again as they really were very easy and tasty, but I may experiment next time with a little baking soda and/or salt to help them puff up more.
Just comments as I made these savoury on the fly - I didn't notice that the recipe called for sugar until it was time to add it, and no, sweet potato rolls would not be for me! So, I omitted the sugar and added 1 ts of salt instead, and these turned out so very, very delicious! I don't often make potato dishes but I think I will start buying and boiling potatoes just so I can make these rolls again. Yum! Thank you for sharing!