Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
Golden little pancakes best served warm with your favourite toppings. They come out slightly thinner than typical pancakes; if you'd like them fluffy and thick, increase the flour and baking powder. A middle ground between crepes and pancakes; if you don't use any baking powder, they come out very similarly to crepes and you can use them as wraps for your favorite toppings, or with the baking powder, they're great as traditional flapjacks. Every pancake/waffle lover should have this recipe. If used for waffles, use 2 eggs, 6 tsp sugar, 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 1/3 cups flour, and 3/4 tsp of baking soda 2 1/4 tsp baking powder. Fast, and with only six ingredients, breakfast only gets so much easier. This is my adaptation of various recipes plus my own influence. We had a family recipe for 15 years, but this trumped even that! Hope you enjoy!
- 1 large egg
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- In a bowl or mixing jug, whisk together egg, sugar and half of milk (2/3 cup).
- Add the flour and mix throughly.
- Then add remaining milk (2/3 cup) and baking powder. It should be the consistency of thick cream.
- (Optional): Add 1-1/2 tsp oil if you have trouble with sticking.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour about a soup spoon sized amount onto a pre-heated lightly greased frying pan or griddle (You will need to start about medium high heat but after a few rounds you will need to drop it back to medium).
- Flip with a spatula when the top is all bubbly (should be a lovely golden colour), and cook the other side (~45 seconds/side depending on stovetop).
- Remove from pan and pile up on a plate (cover with a paper towel until served).
- Serve with whatever you like and enjoy.
READ THE DESCRIPTION (which I didn't ). This says its a cross between crepes and flapjacks and I would say thats spot on for both texture, consistency and flavor. I added a splash of vanilla and after the 1st one I added another 1/3 cup of flour. Tasted fine, but then I add frozen blueberries to mine which makes it harder for a 'pretty' pancake. I'll probably go back to buying Krusteez instant pancake mix, but this worked to show my daughter we can make them from scratch easily.
Runny and flat!
veryvery tastey with honey an some nutelllllllllllllla