I recently needed a soup for my daughter who wasn't feeling well. There was leftover ham in the fridge but my usual ham and potato soup included milk or cream, which is not the best thing for a touchy tummy, so this quick soup was born. The amount of the various ingredients is very flexible so don't worry if you use more or less of any one ingredient. The name comes from the traditional mix for Mirepoix which includes onions, celery, carrots and often ham or bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery rib, 6-8 inch long finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 3 cups cubed ham
- 6 cups idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes. (6-8 potatoes depending on size)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or soup pot.
- 2Saute the chopped onions and celery for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, grated carrot and ham.
- 4Continue sauting until the onion is golden.
- 5Add the chicken broth, thyme and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6Add the potatoes simmer uncovered until the potatoes are soft.
- 7Add salt to taste and more pepper if needed.
- 8Note: Do not salt the soup until the potatoes are cooked. The amount of salt needed will vary depending on the the amount of salt in the chicken broth.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick and Easy Mirepoix Soup
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.0
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 86.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: