Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious and fast supper for those hectic nights; it goes together, start to finish, in less than 45 minutes. Add a tossed salad and some fresh fruit for dessert, and you've got a healthier alternative to processed "convenience" foods.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (7 ounce) packagefideos pasta (or vermicelli, broken)
- 1 lb beef chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- In a large skillet, saute fideos or vermicelli in the olive oil until golden (this part smells soooo good!).
- Remove to a bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet, thoroughly brown the beef chuck.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions, celery and garlic.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste; cook another minute.
- Stir in Tabasco sauce, salt and cumin.
- Return fideos or vermicelli to skillet and add beef broth; combine well.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover tightly and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.