Recipe by weekend cooker
Prepared pie crusts, canned tomatoes, and frozen meatballs make short work of these tasty calzones.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
These were very tasty and so easy to make! I did run about half of the tomatoes through the blender since DH doesn't like the "chunks" and there were still too make for him. Next time I will use a pizza or pasta sauce. I loved the pie crust for these, I liked how it got crispy/flaky. Made for Zaar Stars.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in sauce undrained
- 8 ounces frozen cooked meatballs, thawed, and quartered
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine tomatoes with their sauce, meatballs, and basil in medium bowl, and set aside.
- Place 1 pie crust on prepared baking sheet, and spoon half of the meatball mixture evenly over half of the crust, leaving a 1 inch border around edge of crust.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Fold crust in half to enclose filling, pinch the edges together to seal, and cut slits in top of crust with knife to vent.
- Repeat with remaining crust, meatball mixture, and remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes , or until golden brown.
- Cut each calzone into 3 wedges to serve.