Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Prepared pie crusts, canned tomatoes, and frozen meatballs make short work of these tasty calzones.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, in sauce undrained
- 8 ounces frozen cooked meatballs, thawed, and quartered
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine tomatoes with their sauce, meatballs, and basil in medium bowl, and set aside.
- Place 1 pie crust on prepared baking sheet, and spoon half of the meatball mixture evenly over half of the crust, leaving a 1 inch border around edge of crust.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Fold crust in half to enclose filling, pinch the edges together to seal, and cut slits in top of crust with knife to vent.
- Repeat with remaining crust, meatball mixture, and remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes , or until golden brown.
- Cut each calzone into 3 wedges to serve.
These were very tasty and so easy to make! I did run about half of the tomatoes through the blender since DH doesn't like the "chunks" and there were still too make for him. Next time I will use a pizza or pasta sauce. I loved the pie crust for these, I liked how it got crispy/flaky. Made for Zaar Stars.
These were super easy. I did change this a little simply because I used my own meatballs. That is what attracted me to the recipe, left over meatballs and sauce. Never thought of using pie crust for a calzone. Turned out good and was simple sincer there was no rolling out.
These were OK the 1st time... then we played! Used Rotel w/ green chilies for the sauce, Store bought meatballs from Sam's club ( normally don't do that ). Then we used Marinated Mozzarella for the cheese. Then added some pickled hot peppers. You talk about eating good!!! 3 star as posted, 4 star with changes we made.