Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Prepared pie crusts, canned tomatoes, and frozen meatballs make short work of these tasty calzones.
Make and share this Quick and Easy Meatball Calzones recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine tomatoes with their sauce, meatballs, and basil in medium bowl, and set aside.
- Place 1 pie crust on prepared baking sheet, and spoon half of the meatball mixture evenly over half of the crust, leaving a 1 inch border around edge of crust.
- Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Fold crust in half to enclose filling, pinch the edges together to seal, and cut slits in top of crust with knife to vent.
- Repeat with remaining crust, meatball mixture, and remaining cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes , or until golden brown.
- Cut each calzone into 3 wedges to serve.
These were very tasty and so easy to make! I did run about half of the tomatoes through the blender since DH doesn't like the "chunks" and there were still too make for him. Next time I will use a pizza or pasta sauce. I loved the pie crust for these, I liked how it got crispy/flaky. Made for Zaar Stars.
These were super easy. I did change this a little simply because I used my own meatballs. That is what attracted me to the recipe, left over meatballs and sauce. Never thought of using pie crust for a calzone. Turned out good and was simple sincer there was no rolling out.
These were OK the 1st time... then we played! Used Rotel w/ green chilies for the sauce, Store bought meatballs from Sam's club ( normally don't do that ). Then we used Marinated Mozzarella for the cheese. Then added some pickled hot peppers. You talk about eating good!!! 3 star as posted, 4 star with changes we made.