Recipe by Sooz Cooks
There are real benefits to making your own sub sandwiches. They are less expensive and definitely taste better. This is an easy way to make large sized sandwiches that are great at parties or large gatherings. I put all of the additional toppings like pickles, sliced onion and banana pepper rings on the side so people can add what they want. Each sandwich serves 8 and you can make different types if you have more than 8 people eating.
Top Review by bmcnichol
My 8 year old was impressed that I made the subs for his party :) Boy is this a money saver. Not sure why I never thought about making these before. I made the recipe as written. I made two different "types" of subs. One turkey with provolone and one ham and swiss. I also put pickles and onions on the side so if anyone wanted to add them they could.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces turkey (or Ham or half of each)
- 4 ounces cheese (4-1 oz slices, Provolone, American, Swiss or whatever you want)
Directions See How It's Made
- Split bread lengthwise.
- Spread both sides of bread with mayonnaise.
- Top bottom half of bread with lettuce, sliced tomatoes, meat, and cheese.
- Cover with top of bread.
- Cut crosswise into 8 slices.
- Serve with additional toppings as desired.
- You can make these ahead of time and wrap in foil or plastic wrap (or both is better) and store for up to 8 hours.