Recipe by mailbelle
Ketchup in Kung Pao Chicken? Not sure about this, but I'm going to give it a try! Recipe adapted from the "Help! My Apartment Has A Kitchen" cookbook. Love this book because the instructions go into more detail for people like college students who may not have done a lot of cooking yet.
Top Review by Julie3551
This was an enjoyable meal. I used green bell pepper as that was what I had on hand and instead of red pepper flakes I merely threatened it with cayenne. The results were quite nice. Thanks mailbelle for this recipe.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (any kind)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves (about 10 ounces)
- 2 scallions
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- snow peas (about a handful)
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts (salted or unsalted, but not honey-roasted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and ginger in a medium size bowl; stir and set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips. Add to the bowl and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Wash the scallions. Trim 1/4 inch off the white root end and 2 inches off the top of the green stalks and discard them. Cut the remaining white and green parts into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Wash the red bell pepper. Remove and discard the stem and seeds; then slice the pepper into 1/4-inch strips.
- Wash the snow peas and pull the strings off the sides by snapping 1/4 inch off each end and pulling firmly along each edge. Discard the ends and strings.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan over high heat. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the chicken, plus the marinade in the bowl, and stir-fry for 3 minutes, or until the chicken has turned white on all sides.
- Add the scallions, red bell pepper and snow peas and stir-fry for 2 more minutes, or until the vegetables just begin to soften. Stir in the orange juice and ketchup and heat through.
- Add the peanuts and stir. Serve hot.