Quick and Easy Italian Zeppole
- Bring a pot of oil to 370 degrees F on a candy thermometer. The oil should be about 3 inches deep and not come up more than halfway up the side of the pot.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 16 equal portions.
- Mix together the ricotta, nutmeg, oregano, salt and pepper. Put about a tablespoon of the filling onto the dough, placing it so that you can easily close the dough around it. Brush the edge of the dough with water.
- Press the dough closed around the filling. Making sure that the dough is sealed well, so the filling won’t come out while it is frying.
- Place the doughnuts in the hot oil for about 2 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Put only a few doughnuts in the oil at a time, they should not be crowded or they will not fry evenly.
- Flip the doughnuts over and fry the second side for another 2 minutes. Make sure your oil is staying around 370°F.
- When the doughnuts are done frying, use a basket skimmer to remove them from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with the tomato sauce or pesto sauce.