Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love to eat ham and sweet potatoes all year round. I came up with this easy ham and sweet potato dish that also makes clean up a breeze. Serve with a vegetable and/or side salad and rolls and you will have a complete, satisfying meal.
- 2 ham steaks
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow
- 1⁄8 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Tear off two large sheets of aluminum foil and place side-by-side on a cookie sheet. Mix brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon together. Place one ham slice onto each piece of foil, and sprinkle brown sugar mixture on both sides. Spread a little bit of the crushed pineapple over the ham, then top with sweet potatoes. Sprinkle a little bit more brown sugar mixture and pineapple over the sweet potatoes. Close the aluminum foil tightly around the ham, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven, and carefully open the packets. Sprinkle miniature marshmallows over the top, and return to the oven with the foil open. Bake for another 5 minutes or until marshmallows are soft and slightly melted. If you want the marshmallows really toasty, you could brown them under the broiler until marshmallows are lightly toasted. You will end up with a sweet, juicy ham dish and very few dishes to wash.
Although my other half isn't all that fond of sweet potatoes, I thoroughly enjoyed this dish! The combo of ham & pineapple made it special, I thought, & it certainly was different from the yam casseroles I usually prepare! Many thanks for a great keeper! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]