Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This makes a quick weeknight meal. Serve with basmati rice. The success of curry depends on the quality of curry powder that you purchase, I advise to purchase the curry powder in a Indian supermarket and keep it tightly covered in the refrigerator, for this recipe you can adjust the curry powder and cayenne to taste. I use canned drained chick peas in place of green peas but feel free to add in whatever you wish. This tastes even better the next day and the complete recipe may be doubled.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs (sliced in half, or use chicken breasts sliced into thirds)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup roasted chopped cashews (can use more)
- cooked basmati rice or jasmine rice
- Slice the thighs in half (if you are using breasts then slice into thirds.
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add in the chicken strips and cook until browned; transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add in onion and cook for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add in garlic, curry powder and cayenne; cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add in coconut milk, stewed tomatoes with juice and currants; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add in peas, chicken and any juices from the plate; simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped cashews.
- Serve with basmati or jasmine rice.