Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came from my daddy....he is a cracker loving fiend, so when he found this recipe, we all had to eat it for 3 straight weeks! Needs to be chilled for 2 hours before serving.
- 2 1⁄2 cups saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup bread and butter pickles, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 pint Miracle Whip (not mayonnaise)
- Place all first 5 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the Miracle Whip and still until well blended.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
What an intriguing salad this turned out to be. I just grinned like a goon at my friends as they all tried to figure out just WHAT was in this salad! They were amazed when I finally told them! I used a vidalia onion for the sweet onion and used recipe #115276 for the pickles...I loved the zest the pepper flakes added overall to the recipe. I also added two "mashed" hard cooked eggs to the mix that needed using up. After a confab with Sherrybeth, I crushed the crackers more chunky than fine. I really liked the texture the chunkier pieces gave to the salad along side all the crisply minced veggies. This is a great recipe to bring to a cookout. I will enjoy many times in the future. Thanks for sharing a family classic Sherry!