This is a recipe that I got from my brother recently and not sure where he got it. It is quick and easy to make and simply delicious. If you use the frozen hash brown potatoes and corn thaw them first. I usually use the fresh shredded hash browns from the dairy case. Cooking time specified does not include the cooked bacon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices thick bacon, cooked and broken into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded hash brown potatoes
- 8 -10 ounces crabmeat
- 1 cup corn kernel
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- 1In a 3 to 4 quart saucepan on medium high heat melt butter.
- 2Add cooked bacon pieces, onion, bell pepper, celery, and thyme.
- 3Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if used and cook about 5 minutes.
- 4In a bowl mix flour and Old Bay Seasoning
- 5Stir in half of flour and seasoning mixture into the saucepan stiring well
- 6Add remaining mixture and continue to stir. Should become almost like a paste.
- 7Slowly whisk in a little of the Half & Half at a time so as to keep temperature up, blending well.
- 8Slowly whisk in the chicken broth the same way.
- 9Cook until it begins to bubble ad then stir in the hash brown potatoes.
- 10Simmer till potatoes are cooked and chowder thickens till it just coats the back of a spoon.
- 11Add crab meat a little at a time and then add corn kernels.
- 12Simmer just another minute being careful not to overcook crab meat.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quick and Easy Crab and Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (372 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.7
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 108.9 mg
- Sodium 1038.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning