Recipe by Kagemi
This is a recipe that I got from my brother recently and not sure where he got it. It is quick and easy to make and simply delicious. If you use the frozen hash brown potatoes and corn thaw them first. I usually use the fresh shredded hash browns from the dairy case. Cooking time specified does not include the cooked bacon.
Top Review by Ms. Mother Earth
Excellent!! I had a pound of fresh Dungeness Crab, so I added it all. Used cubed frozen has browns. Will definitely make this again, if I have the patience to crack and pull the meat out of the crab my husband catches.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices thick bacon, cooked and broken into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded hash brown potatoes
- 8 -10 ounces crabmeat
- 1 cup corn kernel
- salt and pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 to 4 quart saucepan on medium high heat melt butter.
- Add cooked bacon pieces, onion, bell pepper, celery, and thyme.
- Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if used and cook about 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix flour and Old Bay Seasoning
- Stir in half of flour and seasoning mixture into the saucepan stiring well
- Add remaining mixture and continue to stir. Should become almost like a paste.
- Slowly whisk in a little of the Half & Half at a time so as to keep temperature up, blending well.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth the same way.
- Cook until it begins to bubble ad then stir in the hash brown potatoes.
- Simmer till potatoes are cooked and chowder thickens till it just coats the back of a spoon.
- Add crab meat a little at a time and then add corn kernels.
- Simmer just another minute being careful not to overcook crab meat.