Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another recipe from the 1980 version of the Grace Evangelical Congregational Church cookbook from Muir, Pennsylvania that was given to me by my Nana when I became an adult. This recipe was submitted to the cookbook by June (Schaeffer) Houtz. Cooking time doesn't include 4 hour chilling.
- In a large bowl, layer the cabbage, pepper and onion rings.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup sugar over mixture.
- In a saucepan combine 1 tablespoon sugar and remaining ingredients. Mix well and heat to boiling.
- Pour hot mixture over the slaw.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Toss before serving.
I used red bell pepper added celery and 4 cups cabbage. Skipped half the sugar and half the salt and still was sweet. This is very good. Stayed crunchy for 3 days in the fridge. A refreshingly light salad. Reminds me of the health salad you find at the deli. Thanks!