Recipe by OhMyStars!
This goes together easily and the dumplings really set off the chili. A good weeknight meal. Add spices to taste if you prefer a "hotter" dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 1⁄3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 -4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 -4 tablespoons parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beef and onion in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the corn.
- Stir remaining corn with liquid, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder and pepper sauce into beef mixture.
- Heat to boiling; Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Mix Bisquick mix and cornmeal.
- Stir in milk, cilantro and reserved 1/2 cup corn just until moistened.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto simmering chili.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until dumplings are dry.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto simmering chili.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 15 minutes.
- Cover and cook 15 to 18 minutes longer.