Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very mild version of chili which my family has enjoyed for years.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions
- 2 lbs ground beef, 90% lean
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- grated cheddar cheese
- Saute onions in olive oil until translucent. add minced garlic and continue to saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- In dutch oven, brown ground beef. Drain and add onions and garlic.
- Add spices and tomatoes with juice -- DO NOT DRAIN. Heat to boiling and simmer for one hour.
- Add beans (also DO NOT DRAIN) and heat through, approximately 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and serve with hot biscuits or corn bread.
- If in a hurry, you can cook onions and garlic with the beef, and also add the kidney beans at the beginning and simmer the whole thing for as little as half an hour. It turns out fine, it's just that the flavor is not as developed.