Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great way to use leftover chicken. Leftover chicken taco meat is great for taco salads the next day. Adapted from Simply Simpatico cookbook
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2-1 cup salsa or 1⁄2-1 cup taco sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- salt, to taste (optional)
- 12 taco shells
- grated cheddar cheese, to garnish
- chopped lettuce, to garnish
- sour cream, to garnish
- salsa, to garnish (optional)
- chopped black olives, to garnish (optional)
- chopped avocados or guacamole, to garnish (optional)
- chopped tomato, to garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet, saute green onion in oil over medium heat (5 minutes) or until tender.
- Stir in chicken, salsa, green chilies and salt (if using) and cook for 10 minutes and bring to a simmer.
- Prepare taco shells according to package directions (we heat them in the microwave for about one minute).
- To serve: either place taco shells, chicken taco meat and garnishes in seperate bowls and let everyone make own tacos or place two tablespoons chicken taco meat in taco shell and top with shredded cheese and garnish with optional garnishes as desired.
This was easy and came out great!
These were OK. I used chicken that I'd cooked that afternoon in Recipe #177207 . The only substitution I made was using a white onion instead of green. I started with 1/2 cup taco sauce and found it a little dry, so wound up using about a cup total. My family liked these, but we've had other versions that suited our tastebuds better. Thanks for sharing!
Mmmmmm! Very quick and easy lunch that was tasty! I added 1 small onion and a clove of garlic to the green onion because we like them, and had to sub enchilada sauce for the salsa or taco sauce as that's all I had on hand, but would love to try the salsa next time! Very good! Served DH's on corn tortillas and the rest of ours on flour tortillas. Added sour cream and cheese. Very, very good. DH asked me to make it again! Thanks