Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I got from my sister-in-law. She uses fresh chicken that she boils and shreds, but for simplicity, I use canned chicken. Either way turns out great! You can also make it ahead and freeze until you're ready to bake it for once a month cooking.
- 2 (12 1/2 ounce) cans white meat chicken
- 2 cups picante sauce, separated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, separated
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 8 burrito-size flour tortillas
- Drain and rinse the chicken and pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Add 1 cup picante sauce, 1 Cup cheddar cheese, cream cheese, cumin, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Scoop about 1/4 Cup of mixture into center of tortilla and roll up.
- Place into a 9x13 pan.
- Do the same process for the remaining mixture and tortillas.
- Top with the rest of the picante sauce and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in oven at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
I reviewed this for PAC 2010. For overall ease 5 stars For overall taste 4 stars But, I have a couple of suggestions. I divided this recipe in 2 making the written recipe as is-and my variations. For my version, I used regular cream cheese which I think was needed for the richness. I would prefer roasted chicken for a bit more flavor vs canned but the canned did make it very easy and still tasted very good. I think buying a store bought rotisserie would be a good alternative. In my version, I used a Mexican blend cheese Monterey Jack and Cheddar, to me it needed a bit more flavor than just the cheddar. But again, that is just a personal preference with cheese. I used almost 3 cups of picante as I wanted a bit more on the top, but that didn't affect the flavor, but a bit more on the top of the dish made a difference to me. Also, I used a spicy picante, but again, that doesn't affect the flavor, just the spice level. It was nice to garnish with sour cream and some olives which gave it a nice kick with no work. I used pre chopped black olives So for ease this was very very good and we finished off the dish so it turned out very well. Easy directions, it cooked well. Last suggestion, I did put just 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom so the tortillas didn't stick. or you could spray with non stick, but the sauce on the bottom is key for me. Then the tortillas and the rest of the sauce on top. Thx for a great lunch, the boys and I enjoyed it very much.