Recipe by *Asha*
I got this recipe from Food Network website and changed it a little bit to my taste. It's great tasting and easy to make. Great comfort food on a rainy, cold day. You can use cauliflower as well. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Jason C.
Excellent, and a great way to use up the rest of my potatoes & broccoli I had sitting around. I used a head of fresh broccoli instead of the boxed w/ cheese sauce, but added some shredded cheddar before serving.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic, from a jar or 1 -2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pinch dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen cut broccoli in cheese sauce, thawed
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth or 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, thyme, salt, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook uncovered until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli with cheese sauce.
- Simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or with an immersion blender.
- I like mine a little bit more chunky so I use
- a potato masher to smash the broccoli and potatoes leaving some texture in the soup.
- Bring to a simmer, taste, and season with salt
- and pepper.