Recipe by Lyss the nutritionist
A delightful and healthy vegetarian soup with high fiber, protein, potassium and iron! The pumpkin adds a thicker texture where the butternut squash base keeps it sweet and "soupy". Serve in a Whole grain bread bowl or with a whole grain loaf to top off this delectable meal!
- 4 cups butternut squash soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, no salt added
- 1 1⁄2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄8 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin, pureed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour soup carton into a large pot and cook on medium.
- Add spinach leaves and stir until mixed together and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir in garlic and continue to cook on medium heat for a few minutes and then add cumin and oregano to taste.
- Then add black beans, tomatoes (if used), feta cheese, and sun dried tomatoes.
- Stir together making sure all ingredients are mixed evenly and then let simmer for a minute or two until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with toasted whole wheat bread or in a whole grain bread bowl.