Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
An ideal side dish to any indian meal
- 350 g basmati rice
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
for the crispy onions
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, to serve
- Wash rice in several changes of water and soak for 30 minutes Bring a litre of water to the boil drain the rice and add with the rest of the ingredients for the rice boil for 5 - 8 minutes The rice should still have a little bite.
- Drain rice and keep warm, seasonings can be removed or left in .
- Heat the oil in the pan and fry the onion for 5 - 10 mins until crispy. Remove and drain.
- Serve rice topped with onions and coriander.
This is a great recipe for an indian style rice. I used 1 1/2 cups basmati rice to 3 cups water, and cooked it in a rice maker. I also sprinkled 1 tsp turmeric over the rice before cooking, which turned the rice a beautiful yellow colour.I will make this again and again. Thanks for posting it.
I'm a kitchen newbie, but I attempted this and WHOA did it turn out excellent! Bonus, our house smelled a bit like a really good Indian restaurant for a day! :)