Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day. It is recommended to use a baking stone in your oven.
- 1 lb refrigerated bread dough (Quick and Easy Artisan Boule (French Free-Form Loaf))
- white flour, for the pizza peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off a 1 pound (grapefruit sized) piece of refrigerated dough without dusting the surface with flour. Wet hands will help prevent sticking. Using your wet hands, shape the dough into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter turn as you go. With your wet fingers, flatten the ball into an elongated oval about 1 inch thick. Don't make it thinner than 1 inch or it will puff like pita bread.
- Turn on oven to 450 degrees F with a baking stone on the middle rack. Place an empty broiler tray on any other shelf that will not interfere with the bread.
- Place the loaf on a white flour-covered pizza peel and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Dust the top of the loaf with flour but do not slash with a knife.
- Slide the loaf directly onto the hot stone. You may need the assistance of a steel dough scraper or spatula. Pour 1 cup of hot tap water onto the broiler tray and quickly close the oven door.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until deeply brown. Allow to cool on a rack before cutting or eating.