Recipe by Maito
This is a tangy and thick soup that makes a wonderful and elegant appetizer or first course. Created for RSC. Thank you to Mom2Rose for putting this in her best of 2009 cookbook!
Top Review by Engrossed
GREAT! I LOVED this Tangy Zesty Elegant soup! I made it as directed with veggie broth, dry vermouth and cognac. I added some salt and a Splenda packet. I enjoyed it topped with a asiago cheese mix which really brought it over the top. I had finely chopped everything in my mini food processor so didn't mind the texture. I liked that the vermouth and brandy just enhanced the flavor instead of overpowering it. Made for the Please Review tag game.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup champagne or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (fresh) or 3 tablespoons asiago cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- sugar, if desired
- fresh Italian parsley (to garnish) or dill (to garnish)
- nonfat plain yogurt (optional) or nonfat sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions, garlic, and shallots in oil over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts, stock, wine, and brandy.
- Bring to a boil, turn to the lowest setting, and simmer covered 10 minutes. If you want a smoother consistency, you can puree it at this time.
- Pepper (and sugar, if desired) to taste, and serve topped with cheese, a dollop of yogurt or sour cream, and a sprinkling of fresh Italian parsley or dill.