Recipe by juniperwoman
This is a somewhat simplified recipe from a great vegan website, http://ohsheglows.com/. It tastes amazing, with very little effort! Add in some vegan ground round, and you've got cheeseburger sauce for macaroni. We did that, and added frozen veggies, too. Awesome instant supper.
- 1 tablespoon margarine (I recommend Earth Balance, as it's vegan and delicious!)
- 1 tablespoon Bisquick (the original recipe called for all-purpose flour)
- 3⁄4 cup almond milk (make sure it's unsweetened and unflavored, I used a hodgepodge of what needed to be used up... 1/2 r)
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, whisk together the Bisquick and milk until all clumps are gone.
- In a skillet or pot, melt the Earth Balance over medium heat. Pour in the milk and Bisquick mixture, and add the nutritional yeast. Whisk well. Reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add Dijon and garlic salt to taste, and whisk frequently until the sauce thickens up, for about 2-5 minutes. Don't let the sauce burn!
- If the sauce ends up too thin, you can add more Bisquick. Or if it's too thick, you can add more "milk" as needed.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 5-7 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove-top (add a splash of milk if it’s too thick) and whisk well.