Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Breadcrumb-coated chicken, aka “Shake ’n Bake” chiacken, are a weeknight staple in many households. They may be quick and easy to prepare, but they rarely turn out as pretty as the picture on the box. The crumb coating is typically gummy and bland as can be, seasoned with little but salt and dusty dried herbs.
- 2 1⁄4 ounces panko breadcrumbs
- 2 1⁄3 ounces plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, patted dry with paper towels
- 3 slices swiss cheese
- 3 slices virginia ham
- adobo seasoning
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Place mixed panko and bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, and sugar in heavy-duty zipper-lock freezer bag. Add 1 tablespoons mayonnaise to bag and work mayonnaise evenly into crumb mixture by gently squeezing outside of bag. Transfer crumb mixture to large plate.
- Butterfly the chicken with knife and season with adobo. Place slice of cheese and ham. Fold chicken in half. Make sure cheese and ham are tucked inside chicken. Brush one side of chicken with mayonaise. Place the mayo side down on crumbs. Brush top side of chicken with mayo and spinkle crumbs on top and press down to seal crumbs. Turn chicken over and press crumbs. Transfer breaded chicken to baking rack set over rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Bake chicken 20 to 25 minutes (when no longer pink). Remove chicken from oven and let rest on rack for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately.