Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Mexican quiche guaranteed to light a fire under your next brunch!
- 1⁄2 lb country-style hot sausage
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 10 jalapeno chiles, chopped (canned)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
- flour tortilla
- Fry the sausage and chorizo together.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and fry to wilt.
- Drain, but save, rendered fat.
- Beat the eggs and milk together.
- Stir the jalepenos and cilantro into egg/milk mixture.
- Using a basting brush, paint both sides of 3 to 4 flour tortillas with the rendered fat and cover the bottom and sides of 1 10-inch pie pan, tearing the tortillas and overlapping as necessary to fill the gaps.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas painted with rendered fat as before.
- Spread sausage, chorizo, onion, bell pepper mixture over tortillas.
- Spread the cheddar and jack cheeses over sausage.
- Pour the egg/milk/chile/cilantro mixture over the cheese.
- Bake in 375°F oven for about 40 minutes or until the pie is set.
- Serve with salsa fresca and sliced jalapenos.