Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is made with chicken sausage with hahanero peppers in it, for a less spicy version use other chicken susage. The recipe comes from the "Flying Samaritans" and KCRA TV.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons 7-Up soda
- 2 hahanero chicken sausage, sliced 1 inch slices
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup gruyere or 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Crust; Mix butter with flour.
- Mix throughly with a fork and add the pinch of salt and the 2 tablespoons of 7-up.
- From into a ball and roll out with a rolling pin to fit and 8-inch or 9-inch pan.
- Press into pan and flute the edges.
- Put aside.
- Filling; Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Saute chicken sausage until browned on both sides.
- Add chopped scallions, sliced mushrooms and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Saute for 2 minutes, then drain.
- Add mushrooms, scallions and chicken to bottom of pie crust.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl.
- Whip eggs until fluffy.
- Add whole pint of half and half and whip again.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Fold in grated cheese.
- Pour the whole mixture into pie pan.
- Sprinkle paprika over the whole surface of the pie.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool for 20 minutes, then cut and serve like a pie.
Really great quiche, Barb! I enjoyed this quite a bit, and it was actually pretty easy to put together. I can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow... Thanks for sharing this!