Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
The recipe originally came from a 1987 Canadian Living Cookbook. I've been making it ever since but have altered it to suit our tastes. This is a much lighter version than those made with cream (as this recipe originally was) and now I find I don't like the texture of those made with cream. I wouldn't go lower fat than 2% milk though.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Thaw the pie shell if frozen and poke a bunch of holes across the bottom and sides with a fork. Bake for 5 - 7 minutes until very light gold.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Chop bacon in to smallish pieces and fry until cooked but not very crisp.
- Saute the minced onions in the bacon grease and set both aside (draining the onions first).
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the eggs and add the milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add in the cheese and bacon and stir until combined.
- Turn the egg mixture out in to the pie shell (it's easier to handle if you have the pie plate on a baking sheet).
- Cook at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes or until a kinife inserted in to the center comes out clean. Let it sit for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Great with a crisp salad. Enjoy!