Prep 45 mins
Cook 18 mins
Serve these hearty muffins along with salad and a glass of wine or iced tea for a lovely lunch.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 8 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal or 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Swirl 1 tablespoon of the oil; add the bacon and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in the scallions; stir/saute for 2 minutes, until scallions are wilted and bacon is lightly browned.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt until well blended; set aside.
- Whisk the egg, egg yolks, and the remaining oil into the bowl with the bacon; stir in the milk and cheese until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture until moistened.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 3/4 full.
- Bake in a 400° oven for 18 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned and pick comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Set muffin pan on a wire rack to cool 10 minutes.
- Gently remove muffins from tin and cool them 5 minutes on the rack before serving (if stuck, gently rock back and forth to release it from the tin).
- To store: cool completely, then seal in an airtight container or in freezer bags.
- Muffins will stay fresh at room temperature for 2 days or up to 3 months in freezer.