Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Betty Crocker recipe that was a family favorite growing up. As my husband says... anything with bacon is GOOD!
- 9 inches pie crusts
- 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare Pastry. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion in pastry lined dish.
- Beat eggs slightly; beat in remaining ingredients. Pour into quiche dish.
- Bake 15 minutes.Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Bake 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
At the moment my 5 stars refuse to appear!!! This is a delicious recipe, and the amounts given are exactly right for my large pie dish. I confess to 2 substitutions. One which I will not repeat is, I used 1 cup buttermilk and 1 cup cream -- next time it will be cream only!! And I used a bunch of chopped spring onions instead of onion. I also added a little nutmeg. My convection oven was simply too hot (at 220 deg C, which is about your 425 deg F for the first 15 mins) This was MY mistake -- therefore the top is too dark. This is not the fault of the recipe, and I turned my oven way down before it could do more harm! A delicious and easy recipe. I used my own shortcrust pastry recipe. Thanks!! I hope the 5 stars decide to appear.
Cooked exactly as directed. Waited the 10 minutes and when I cut into it it was not done. Had to put it back in the oven for 25 minutes at 300 to get it to set. Will not be using this recipe again.
Delicious ~ and slices nicely! I used a Pillsbury roll-out ready made crust, 1/2 cup chopped onion; substituted half & half for the heavy cream, and added 4 large fresh basil leaves, snipped ~ Made for Spring PAC 2010.