Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 150 g shortcrust pastry (5 oz)
- 175 g gruyere cheese, thinly sliced (6 oz)
- 175 g bacon, chopped (6 oz)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, Grated
- 150 ml single cream (or top of milk)
- Line an 18-cm(7-in) flan tin or sandwich cake tin with the pastry.
- Place a layer of cheese on the pastry, then a layer of bacon, and repeat until both ingredients have been used up.
- Mix the eggs with the cayenne pepper, nutmeg, and cream or milk.
- then pour over the cheese and bacon mixture in the flan case.
- Bake near the top of the oven at 200C(400F) Gas mark 6 for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the filling set.
- Serve hot or cold.
I found this quiche recipe to be authentic in it's ingredients.I spent some time in a French household several years back and this recipe seems almost exactly what I remember the hostess preparing. Thankyou joyce Laneyrie
I was expecting a simplistic recipe but instead was provided a recipe with ingredients that I have never heard of (Gruyere Cheese) and measurement values that require research (150 ml of milk). I think the consideration should be made for those of us who are new to this internet age and they should keep in mind that the cookers of the household are middle aged women who are use to regular methods of measurement.
Great filling! I like making my own butter crust though.