Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my favorite monthly freezer cooking recipes. So easy and cooks up perfectly every time. It's from the Freezer Cooking Manual, but I tweaked it a little. Can be done in endless variations. My favorite combo is chicken, bacon and spinach with swiss cheese. Also great as a vegetarian meal- just skip the meat and add extra veggies.
- 1 cup meat, any diced and browned (such as bacon, ham, chicken, sausage etc)
- 3⁄4 cup vegetables (thawed chopped spinach, broccoli, chopped green pepper)
- 1 cup cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (use 1 tsp for a spicier kick)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Combine meat, vegetable, cheese, and onion. Place this mixture in a labeled 1-gallon freezer bag.
- With a mixer or blender, combine the milk, eggs, Tabasco sauce, flour and baking powder.
- Pour into the bag with the meat/vegetable mixture.
- Seal and freeze.
- To serve, thaw completely. Shake bag well and pour into a spray-treated or greased deep dish pie plate or quiche pan.
- Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes, until lightly browned on top and well set in the center.
- Cool about 5 minutes before serving.
I have made this once a week for the past couple of weeks. I found that adding about a teaspoon of garlic made a big difference possibly because I used cheddar instead of swiss so it needed a little something else for flavour. I use leftovers for the meat. I cook something for Sunday dinner (roast, fajitas, roast chicken, etc) and at the same time I make up the egg mixture. Then after supper all I do is chop up the leftover meat, add it to the egg mixture, and I have supper ready for Monday. It isn't quite meatless Monday but since it is leftovers it is probably close.
Being lazy, I can whip this up without dirtying many dishes -- first, I put chopped meat, cheese, and veg into my quiche dish. (Kitchen shears are really useful here.)
Then I beat the eggs into a 4-cup measuring cup. Next I add 2 cups of milk. Mix again. Add flour. Mix again. Add baking powder. Mix.
Finally, I pour the liquids over the ingredients in my quiche pan. Pop the pan into the oven, and the measuring cup, wisk, and the shears into the dishwasher. Done.
Fabulous freezer meal recipe. Perfect way to use up leftover ham from holiday meals. When using ham in this recipe, I do not add any additional salt. Thanks for sharing this one!!