Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
After trying a fabulous dish of melted cheese and chorizo at La Fogata in San Antonio Tx, I searched until I found a similar recipe. This one is very close and excellent. From the cookbook, New Texas Cuisine by Stephan Pyles.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 56.69 g chorizo sausage
- 113.39 g mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 113.39 g monterey jack cheese, cubed
- 85.04 g goat cheese, crumbled
- 6 small flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place an 8 inch casserole in oven while preparing the fundido.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat until slightly smoking. Add onion, garlic and pepper and cook for one minute stirring constantly.
- Add chorizo and break up while coooking for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from oven. Spread the cheeses over hot bottom of dish. Return the dish to oven and bake until cheese is just melted, about five minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle chorizo mixture over top. Return to oven and heat for about three minutes.
- Serve with warmed tortillas.
Delicious on tortillas! Nice ooziness (created my own word, I think). Nice consistancy. Doesn't make a whole lot, so I would probably double the recipe next time and add more heat. I would also add 1/4 t salt or salt to taste and another jalapeno (at least). Of course, being from Texas, we like it hotter than most--this is probably just the right heat for most. Thanks for the recipe! Made for ZWT5.
Made this queso as a New Years Eve appetizer last night. Everyone loved it. I accidentally forgot to put in the onion, and it was still really good. I can't wait to make it again so I can include the onions, which I love. I served it with tortilla chips for dipping versus flour tortillas. Thanks for posting.
I have been looking for a Queso Fundido recipe for Years!! This sounds just like the one my husband and I enjoyed at a Mexican Restaurant we use to enjoy way back (1987) This is the restaurant he proposed to me in!! Cant wait to try it!!! Glad I surfed the net!!! on a day off just relaxing!!!