Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
While traveling around the world I discovered that "Laughing Cow" cheese is the perfect substitute for Velveeta/American cheese! slight departure from the standard queso with the addition of yogurt, onions, and fresh tomatoes...makes a thicker, slightly more nutritious recipe!
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese (or American cheese or la vache qui rit, etc.)
- 1 large onion, diced to preference
- 3 -4 large tomatoes, diced to preference
- 2 (10 ounce) cans rotel (or 1 can Rotel, 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno (or to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves (to taste) (optional)
- 1 -2 bell pepper (adds some nutritional value) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, minced (or to taste)
- 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt (or to taste)
- Dice Velveeta, open Rotel, and add to large frying pan set to medium.
- Dice tomatoes, onions, pepper(s) & garlic (if using) and add to pan, stirring well as Velveeta melts.
- Add cilantro near end of cooking time (depending on amount making and stove, 5-10 minutes).
- Right before turning off heat and serving, add yogurt, adding to taste.
- Serve with toasted corn chips (corn tortillas baked at 350°F for ~7-10 min), sliced green apple, crudites, etc. I usually make a large batch and freeze it in baggies for later -- .