While traveling around the world I discovered that "Laughing Cow" cheese is the perfect substitute for Velveeta/American cheese! slight departure from the standard queso with the addition of yogurt, onions, and fresh tomatoes...makes a thicker, slightly more nutritious recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese (or American cheese or la vache qui rit, etc.)
- 1 large onion, diced to preference
- 3 -4 large tomatoes, diced to preference
- 2 (10 ounce) cans rotel (or 1 can Rotel, 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno (or to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves (to taste) (optional)
- 1 -2 bell pepper (adds some nutritional value) (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced (or to taste)
- 3 cups plain nonfat yogurt (or to taste)
- 1Dice Velveeta, open Rotel, and add to large frying pan set to medium.
- 2Dice tomatoes, onions, pepper(s) & garlic (if using) and add to pan, stirring well as Velveeta melts.
- 3Add cilantro near end of cooking time (depending on amount making and stove, 5-10 minutes).
- 4Right before turning off heat and serving, add yogurt, adding to taste.
- 5Serve with toasted corn chips (corn tortillas baked at 350°F for ~7-10 min), sliced green apple, crudites, etc. I usually make a large batch and freeze it in baggies for later -- .
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Queso for International Travelers
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 134.7
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 24.8 mg
- Sodium 639.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 8.3 g