Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I cannot remember where this came from, but it has always been a favorite. A little difficult and it makes a large amount. But that makes it perfect for pot-lucks or family gatherings. It is a meal all by its self. Very much worth the time.
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cut into chunks
- 1 can ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies, chopped but not drained
- 1 lb of good quality breakfast sausage
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 packages cornbread mix (Make sure it is not a corn MUFFIN mix as this will cause the whole thing to be a flop because of the)
- Pre heat oven to 375.
- Mix cornbread according to package directions in a LARGE BOWL and set aside.
- Prepare 2 9x13 pans with cooking spray or grease and flour.
- I have used a roasting pan instead of 2 9X13's you be the judge.
- Now brown crumbled sausage in a large skillet.
- Drain fat.
- Add velveeta, ro-tel tomatoes and pinto beans.
- Stir often until all of the cheese is melted.
- Add hot cheese mixture to cornbread batter.
- It will swell up quite a bit.
- That is why you need a LARGE bowl.
- Mix gently but thoroughly.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake @ 375 degrees for about 35 minutes until it is well browned.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
- I have served this with a salad or had it as a midnight snack.
- I hope you love it as much as we do.
This is a keeper!! It is an easy recipe to "tweek". I added a small can of drained, sliced black olives to the sausage/tomato/cheese/bean mixture. After baking, top each serving with sour cream and sliced green onion. A simple addition which helps the presentation.