Recipe by TJW
This is a really simple, spicy, NO VELVEETA cheese fondue dish which can be altered easily to fit your preferences. Fresh ingredients take this to the next level. Serve with warm tortillas or crusty French Bread, pico de gallo, and plenty of beer. I use 4 Serranos instead of Jalapenos when I make this so it is hotter, you can use however many you want.
- 2 links mexican chorizo sausage, skinned, shredded and pan fried until crispy (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oil (Only when you use the Chorizo)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (Pepper Jack is good)
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and finely diced (wear gloves)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half (use only enough to reach desired consistency)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the skin off the links, crumble them and cook them in the oil until brown and crispy, drain and set aside.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook on LOW heat, stirring constantly, until all cheese is melted, and the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Slowly add the 1/2 and 1/2 until the desired consistency is reached, it should be thick.
- Turn up heat slightly and Let simmer for another few minutes until slightly bubbly.
- Serve in a fondue pot, topped with the cooked chorizo.
- Scoop up with tortillas, or French bread, use pico de gallo as a condiment and have lots of beer!