Recipe by Trinkets
I first came across this recipe in Epicurious but I have tweaked it into something my friends like better. It is a great appetizer with margaritas or chilled Chardonnay!
Top Review by bricookie55
Wow! This was such an easy, delicious treat! It would be expensive to have every day (I used prosciutto di Parma) but boy would it be worth it! Served this as an entree and everybody devoured it. I would love to make this as an appetizer or snack for guests. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 large vidalia onion, chopped (or any other sweet onion)
- 1 1⁄2 cups smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes.
- Season with freshly cracked pepper.
- Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Brush heavy large skillet with remaining butter. Place over medium-high heat. Working in batches, Sprinkle cheese, prosciutto and sautéed onion on tortilla, dividing equally, top with another tortilla making a sandwich. Cook quesadillas just until brown spots appear, brushing skillet with butter between batches, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer quesadillas to cutting board. Cut each into 6 triangles. Arrange on platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
- I usually serve with sour cream mixed with mango chutney and Tabasco, and lime wedges.