Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Australian Women's Weekly's 'Smart Mince'.
Make and share this Quesadillas With Guacamole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 g beef mince (for Australians) or 16 ounces ground beef (for Americans)
- 35 g taco seasoning mix (generous one ounce)
- 3⁄4 cup water (180ml)
- 310 g corn kernels, drained (just under 10oz)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (green shallots)
- 10 burrito tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (180g or 6oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 1 medium avocado (250g/8oz)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomatoes (150g or just under 5oz)
- Heat the oil in a large pan, preferably non-stick; add the ground mince/mince beef and stir over a high heat, breaking it up as it cooks to ensure that it doesn't stay in large lumps; cook for about 5 minutes or until the beef has browned.
- Add the taco seasoning and the water; bring to the boil; reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened; stir in the corn and the green onions.
- Guacomole: Meanwhile, cut the avocado in half lengthways; remove the seed and scoop the flesh into a bowl; add the lemon juice and mash the avocado roughly with a fork; cut the tomato in half and squeeze gently to remove the seeds; chop the tomato, then add it to the avocado mixture; season to taste with salt.
- Place half the tortillas on a chopping board; spread the beef mixture evenly over the tortillas; sprinkle with cheese; top with remaining tortillas; using a pastry brush, brush the top of the tortillas with the extra oil (or use an oil spray).
- Cook the quesadillas in batches in a heated sandwich press until the cheese has melted; or, add the quesadillas to a heated non-stick pan and cook until lightly browned on both sides, turning carefully.
- Remove the quesadillas from the sandwich press or pan with a plastic spatula; place on a chopping board and cut into quarters with a sharp knife.
- To keep the quesadillas warm while cooking the remainder, place them on an oven tray and place in a 120°C/100°C fan-forced oven/250°F/1/2 gas mark.
- Serve the quesadillas with the Guacamole.
DH made these and it was great to come home to a ready made meal... we did add the corn. Please see my Rating system: 4 stars for a tasty and easy midweek family meal. Thanks!
This was a good lunch ... I left out the corn due to personal taste, added a bit of salsa and a bit more cheese. We also served with "Margo's Guacamole" because we always seem to have some on hand.
We really enjoyed this. I didn't use the corn at the request of DH. I used Amazing Taco Seasoning for the taco seasoning and it was wonderful. I doubled the Guacamole because we love it and added some garlic powder and onion powder along with some cayenne pepper to spice it up some. I filled 2 full 2 tortillas with the whole mixture and added some extra cheese. Then baked it at 425 degrees for about 14 minutes. The tortillas were nice and crisp. Thanks for sharing.