Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Mexican plaza or street vendors kind. It's more like a turnover because the edges are sealed.
- 4 3⁄4 cups masa harina
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup salsa (canned or prepared)
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled mexican queso fresco (fresh or farmer's cheese)
- oil (for frying)
- Mix first four ingredients, adding water gradually until it's the right consistency (not runny).
- Get a handful of dough and shape into a ball.
- Press into uncooked tortilla with a mechanical tortilla press, using two slightly moistened plastic tortilla-size circles on inner top and bottom of tortilla press.
- Re-moisten as necessary, just so masa doesn't stick.
- Seal edges.
- Stuff with cooked filling (not runny-may be leftovers) of your choice.
- Fry in very hot cooking oil until golden on both sides.
- Place over absorbent paper towels to rid of excess fat.
- Garnish with lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and crumbled cheese.