Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Also known as Frexican Quesadillas. If you cannot find Camembert cheese substitute Brie or Saint Andre. Makes a great party appetizer! From www.artisanalcheese.com.
- 8 flour tortillas (approximately 8-inch diameter) or 8 spelt tortillas (approximately 8-inch diameter)
- 8 ounces camembert cheese
- 1 cup granny smith apple, peeled, seeded and diced small
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 cup firm tomatoes, diced small
- 1 tablespoon green jalapeno, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced (NOT dried)
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- Wrap the Camembert in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 hour. Grate using a cheese grater. Set aside.
- TORTILLAS: Heat a 10" non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle evenly with one quarter of the grated Camembert. Top with a second tortilla, pressing down gently. When nicely browned, flip the quesadilla over and brown the other side. Transfer to a warming plate.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and Camembert.
- SALSA: Combine the apple, red onion, tomato, jalapeño and lime juice in a non-reactive bowl. Stir in the walnut oil and fresh basil.
- TO SERVE: Slice each quesadilla into quarters and arrange attractively on a serving platter with the salsa on the side.