Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Here is a fast, easy way to make a great snack with chicken. Kids will like the cheesy goodness. Adults will love the pico de gallo (literally, "beak of the rooster." It is an excellent chunky salsa with the nutrients kicked way up by the black beans. I use a combination of butter and olive oil in a skillet to get the crispier exterior. If you like, you can spray each quesadilla with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted, but this does not give the same crispness. Prep time includes 3 hours refigeration time for the pico.
- 4 flour tortillas
- 29.58 ml butter
- 44.37 ml olive oil, divided
- 118.29 ml boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in thin strips
- 118.29 ml broccoli slaw mix
- 28.39 ml cilantro leaf
- 59.14 ml green onion
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml diced jalapeno
- 85.04 g Laughing Cow cheese, 4 wedges
- 118.29 ml mozzarella cheese
Pico de gallo
- 236.59 ml black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 59.14 ml cilantro
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- 5 roma tomatoes, diced
- 118.29 ml onion, diced
- 22.18 ml great american land and cattle company steak and meat seasoning (see note below to order or use)
- 14.79 ml onion powder
- 29.58 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml sea salt
- 14.79 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Note: order Great American Land and Cattle company Steak and Meat Seasoning at www.grtamerican.com.
- Cook chicken in 1 T medium hot oil about five minutes per side until juices run clear. Remove from heat.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Add them to a mixing bowl. Add in cooked chicken.
- dice 1/4 C cilantro, cucumber, 5 roma tomatoes, 3 jalapenos (if you like heat, leave the seeds in, if you don't like it so hot, seed the peppers first), and 1/2 C onion.
- Add to a second smaller bowl.
- Add seasonings pico de gallo mixture bowl. Use Great American land and Cattle Company seasoning or use spice blend above.
- cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours for flavors to mix.
- Heat 2 T butter and 2 T olive oil in a large cast iron skillet.
- Mix filling ingredients together , (except for cheeses and pico de gallo)
- Spread 1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese on 1/2 of flour tortilla.
- Add about 1/4 of filling ingredients. Spread with back of spoon.
- add 1/8 C mozzarella cheese on top.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold one side over to form a semi-circle.
- cook in hot oil about 5 minutes per side until lightly browned (be careful when flipping the quesadilla over--use one spatula to flip and one on top to hold the filling intact) Do not burn.
- Repeat with 3 remaining tortillas.
- Remove from pan and slice in 4 wedges each.
- Serve with tomato slices, avocado slices and sour cream.
- Serve with pico de gallo.
- Muy Sabroso!
Colorful and delicious. Guess I'm part kid and part adult because I loved both the oozing cheeses and the pico de gallo - the cucumber made it something special, very fresh tasting with a sharp punch from the onion and jalapeno! The preparation was unclear as I couldn't figure out what "filling ingredients" referred to exactly - and following the directions, I mixed the chicken into the pico, when it would have made more sense inside the quesadilla. Also there was such a small amount of broccoli slaw that maybe added a tiny bit of crunch but not much else. I'll definitely make the pico on its own again to serve with chips!