The authentic quesadilla is made with an uncooked tortilla that is stuffed, folded over and cooked on a comal. Cheese with a sprig of epazote is a classic filling, but popular variations include mushrooms, potatoes with chorizo, or squash flowers; see following recipes. It is important that these be served the moment they are cooked.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb masa dough
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lard, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- oil (for frying)
Relleno de Queso (Cheese Filling)
- 1 cup queso manchego cheese or 1 cup oaxaca cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 cup muenster cheese
- epazote (optional)
Relleno de Papa con Chorizo (Potato and Chorizo Filling)
Relleno de Flor de Calabaza (Squash Blossom Filling)
- 1Place the masa in a large bowl and add flour, lard, baking powder and salt. Moisten your hands and knead for 5 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2Form the masa into 12 balls. Line a tortilla press with plastic wrap, place a ball of masa in the center and cover with another piece of plastic. Press lightly to form a 4-in (10 cm) circles. Peel the plastic from the top of the tortilla and spread a spoonful of filling (recipes follow) on the tortilla in a half circle, leaving a 1/2 in (1-cm) margin around the edge. Fold the tortilla in half and remove the plastic from the bottom. Press the edges of the quesadillas to seal.
- 3In a skillet heat 1/2 in (1 cm) oil to 375°F (190°C). Fry the quesadillas, 2 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Do not let them stick together as they fry.
- 4Serve with guacamole and salsa mexicana.
- 5Relleno de queso (Cheese Filling): Place a spoonful of cheese and a sprig of epazote in each quesadilla.
- 6Relleno de Papa con Chorizo (Potato and Chorizo Filling): Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water. When they are tender , drain and place in a bowl. Mash slightly with a fork.
- 7Heat a skillet, add the chorizo and cook over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- 8Add the chorizo to the potatoes. Moisten with a tablespoon of fat rendered from the chorizo and mix well.
- 9Relleno de Flor de Calabaza (Squash Blossom Filling): Remove the stems and pistils from the flowers. Rinse with water, drain and chop coarsely.
- 10Heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the tomato, stir and heat for 3 minutes or until the mixture comes to a boil. Add the flower, chile poblano, epazote and salt. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until flowers are soft and the excess liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quesadillas
Serving Size: 1 (924 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.1
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 443.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: