Recipe by The Kissing Cook
This recipe was taken from the 1999 Pillsbury Bake-Off finalists. It was on the inside of the Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts Box. Kids will love it!
- 1 (15 ounce) packagepillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) canold el paso chopped green chilies
- 2 eggs
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 4 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup old el paso thick n chunky salsa (optional) or 2⁄3 cup picante sauce, if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions for two-crust pie using 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom or 9 inch pie pan.
- Place oven rack at lowest position. Heat oven to 375°F.
- In medium skillet, cook and stir onions in margarine until tender. Reserve 1 Tablespoon each chopped tomato and sliced olives; stir remaining tomato, olives, garlic powder or garlic salt, cumin, pepper and chilies into cooked onion.
- In small bowl, combine eggs and hot pepper sauce; beat well. Reserve 2 teaspoons egg mixture. Stir 1/2 cup each of the Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese into eggs.
- Sprinkle remaing cheeses over bottom of crust lined pan. Spoon onion mixture evenly over cheese. Carefully pour egg mixture over onion mixture; spread to cover. Top with second crust; seal edges and flute. Cut slits in top crust in decorative design. Brush with reserved egg mixture.
- Bake at 375°F on lowest oven rack for 45 - 55 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes; remove sides of pan. Serve with sour cream, salsa and reserved tomatoes and olives.
- Serves 6.