Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sweet Portuguese Orange Cheese Tart - Posted for ZWT 5. I found this recipe and modified it my tastes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup farmer cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Sift the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt into a large, chilled mixing bowl, and add the chilled butter
- With your fingertips rub the flour and fat together until they look like flakes of coarse meal. (Or use the food processor).
- Add the lightly beaten egg and toss together until the dough can be gathered into a compact ball. Wrap in wax paper and chill the dough for at least an hour before using.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a circle about 1/8 inch thick. Press into nonstick greased Large Pie Tart Dish.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350°. With an electric mixer or food processor, beat the cream cheese, pot cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy. Then beat in the egg yolks,orange juice,zest, cinnamon and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into the tart
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the filling is set and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the tart to room temperature, then carefully slip out of the tin and serve.