Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
A little bit diddly to make, but well worth the effort.
- 4 quarts gherkins (split larger ones lengthwise)
- 4 quarts cucumbers, chopped into bite sized pieces (dill-size)
- 1 large cauliflower, broken into flowerettes
- 1 quart pickling onions, peeled and left whole (silverskins)
- 6 small cooking onions, sliced
- 3 green peppers, diced
- 2 hot red peppers, diced
- 4 cups diced celery
THE MUSTARD SAUCE
- 10 cups pickling vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- Place each veggie in a separate container. Cover each veggie with boiling hot brine (1 cups salt dissolved in 10 cups of boiling water. Let stand overnight.
- The next day, drain well.
- While the veggies are draining, combine 7 cups of the vinegar and sugar. Heat to boiling until sugar dissolves.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and add to the remaining vinegar, stirring to mix.
- Temper this mixture with some of the hot vinegar and sugar solution to prevent lumps, then mix all together. Add all the vegetables. Heat until bubbles come to the top (near boiling), stirring constantly to avoid scorching.
- Fill hot, sterilized jars and seal.