Recipe by the_cookie_lady
This is from "The Joy of Cookies" by Sharon Tyler Herbst. You can substitute raisins for the currants if you can't find any.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped maraschino cherry, blotted well on paper towels
- 3 tablespoons coarse decorator sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit. Grease 36 miniature (1 3/4 x 3/4-inch) muffin tins.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and extracts together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sour cream. Stir in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition. Stir in currants and cherries.
- Spoon into prepared tins, filling almost full. Sprinkle lightly with decorating sugar.
- Bake cakes 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from tins and cool on racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for longer storage.