Recipe by JustJanS
An old recipe of my mothers that I'm submitting for a request. I'm only guessing the prep and cooking times.
Top Review by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
This is a very simple pudding to make. It also uses up any excess cake. I didn't use lemon rind or do the merigue top but it was nice with the jam topping. I would probably use thin cake slices instead of crumbs and leave it to soak in the boiled milk for about 10 - 15 mins before proceeding but that is a personal preference.
- 1 cup cake crumbs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the milk to the boil, pour it over the sugar and crumbs, add the lemon rind and beaten yolks; put into a buttered pie dish and stand it in a baking dish containing water.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour, or until the centre is quite firm.
- Take out and spread jam over the top; whip the egg whites and salt until stiff adding the castor sugar slowly.
- Spread on the pudding, return to a cool oven, and bake until crisp and a pale fawn colour.
- Chocolate sauce, lemon butter or apple butter may be used instead of jam.