Recipe by Coasty
This is a very old fashion hot pudding that my Nanna would make to finish off a big Sunday roast lunch.
Top Review by Phil the kiwi
Awesome recipe!! I watched Delia Smith make this pudding but didn't write the recipe down so searched on here. This was the closest to hers and uses cups for measures which I prefer. I added the zest of a lemon which gave a great flavour, next time I might try vanilla and after that maybe a coffee or mocha flavouring. I think pretty much any flavour could be added to this. Thanks for posting, its going in my cookbook.
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Scald milk and pour over breadcrumbs. Leave stand for about 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks with half the sugar and sti into crumb mix.
- Spoon this mix into a greased ovenproof dish and bake at 325°F for 45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
- Combine strawberry jam and sliced strawberries and spread over the custard.
- Whip egg whites until stiff, then beat in remaining sugar to form a meringue.
- Swirl meringue over top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until meringue is set and lightly browned.
- Serve hot or warm.