Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tasty pastries. can be taken as a quick snack or for tea.
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 g butter
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 50 g raisins
- milk (if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 190°C Grease a patty tin or use paper cups.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Cream fat and sugar until mixture is light and creamy. Add in vanilla essence.
- Beat egg and add it gradually to the mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the sifted flour with a metal spoon.
- Add a little milk if necessary to give it a soft dropping consistency.
- Mix in the raisins.
- Fill greased patty tin or paper cups half full with the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Great little recipie! I got two medium sized cupcakes, just enough for me this afternoon. Years ago I read about queen cakes somewhere. Was it a Mary Poppins story? Maybe Elizabeth Goudge... There was no sugar specified, so I used two tablespoons, and it wasn't quite emough; three tbsp or even a quarter cup next time. They had a moist, light crumb with a kind of crispy crust. I loved the texture. I used just under 1/2 cup of flour 'cause my kitchen scale gave up the ghost and a tbsp milk since the egg wasn't quite enough moiature for that amount of flour. Great flavor and I love the texture. Thanks Renee and Mum.